Jeff Abrahamson on Sat, 1 Sep 2001 00:30:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] debian upgrade confusion

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 03:39:33PM -0500, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> On 08/31, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > Err http://security.debian.org woody/updates/main Packages
> > 404 Not Found
>
> security.debian.org only contains stable.
>
> > Now, what really bothers me is what debian thinks it's going to
> > remove: things like task-x-window-system-core and gnumeric.
> >
> > Can anyone help me understand what is going on?
>
> the task* packages do not actually contain anything - they just depend on a
> useful collection of packages, so that installing them will install what
> they depend on.
>
> Not sure why it's removing gnumeric.
>
> I'd say just let it run, and attempt to install gnumeric afterward.

Good idea. Maybe I should do the dist-upgrade first, but my first shot
was just re-installing gnumeric. So I switch to woody in sources.list
and then:
diderot:/home2/jeff/Mutt# apt-get -s -f install gnumeric
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  gnumeric: Depends: libgal4 but it is not installable
E: Sorry, broken packages
diderot:/home2/jeff/Mutt#  apt-get -f -s install libgal4
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package libgal4 has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
of sources.list
E: Package libgal4 has no installation candidate
diderot:/home2/jeff/Mutt#

> But you are going into debian unstable.  Things may very well break.

Yes, I was thinking testing and wrote unstable. Glad I didn't actually
do it...

> Also, if your goal is just to get the latest gnumeric, there are a number
> of other things you can do short of a dist-upgrade.
>
> The easiest is just to update your sources, do an "apt-get update", then
> "apt-get install gnumeric" - this will upgrade just gnumeric and everything
> it depends on (which could include things like libc).  You could also try
> just downloading the latest gnumeric debian package from the archive, and
> manually installing it with "dpkg -i packagename".  It's worked for me with
> other packages at times in the past.
>
> Perhaps the cleanest solution would be to add the testing or unstable
> source lines to your apt sources:
>
> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://non-US.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
>
> Then do:
>
> apt-get --compile source gnumeric
>
> This will build a file called gnumeric*deb in your current directory.  Do
> "dpkg -i gnumeric*deb".  That should do it.

That seems like a good idea. But, alas, I am cursed:

jeff@diderot:gnumeric-test $ apt-get --compile source gnumeric
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Need to get 7173kB of source archives.
Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org testing/main gnumeric 0.64-1 (dsc) [805B]
Err http://http.us.debian.org testing/main gnumeric 0.64-1 (tar)
  404 Not Found
Get:2 http://http.us.debian.org testing/main gnumeric 0.64-1 (diff) [38.8kB]
Fetched 39.6kB in 1s (24.3kB/s)
Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnumeric/gnumeric_0.64.orig.tar.gz
  404 Not Found
E: Failed to fetch some archives.
jeff@diderot:gnumeric-test $

Tomorrow morning I think I shall try the old fashioned method of
downloading a tarball and compiling to /usr/local/.

I very much appreciate the help, btw. I don't mean to seem negative by
countering with stories about how it's not quite working...

--
 Jeff