gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 1 Sep 2001 23:00:13 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Does restricting partial words weaken passwords?

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 11:33:06AM -0400, Dave Turner wrote:
> Someone reported having a password checker reject a password on the basis of
> "partial word match".

Which one? It's pretty expensive to do this kind of checking.
npasswd takes long enough as it is for my taste.

> It's Debian GNU/Linux's, yeah.  Probably different distros have different
> dictionaries.

So far as I know, they're the same, or at least very similar.

> But you don't have to deal with a wide range of systems, some of which don't
> allow these.  I chose to deal with only lowercase letters.  Adding uppercase
> letters would make no difference, since you could also mix up the case of the
> dictionary.

What are you talking about? Find me a commonly-used operating system
that can't recognize 256 characters of ASCII and print most of
them. I dare you. I don't care if the upper 128 aren't the same
printed character between systems; as long as I know the ASCII
codes I used in my password and how to generate them on various
systems, I can use them. And do, on Unix (including Solaris, NetBSD
on three distinct keyboard setups, Linux, and NeXTStep), Mac OS (9
or earlier and X), and Windows (whatever).

I have more to say about the Perl you attached, but I don't have
time right now to actually think it all through and type it up
coherently. (There are arriving freshmen to tend to.)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net