Jeff Abrahamson on Sun, 2 Sep 2001 13:10:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] debian upgrade confusion

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 12:31:18PM -0400, Greg Lopp wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 12:03:32PM +0200, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > > [Wherein I spoke of wanting to upgrade from potato to woody, and my
> > > fears and trepidations related thereto. And various people offered
> > > useful advice and comforting assurances that all would be well in
> > > the end.]
> >
> > OK, I did it. Or, that is, I'm still doing it. But I've got a bit of a
> > problem.
> >
> > The dist-upgrade terminated with
> > [...an error removing libpgsql2: pre-removal script returned error...]
>
> Hmmmm.  Looks like you area stuck at the point of removing
> libpgsql2.  Try..
>
> ~# touch /etc/postgresql/postmaster.conf
> ~# dpkg -r libpgsql2

Wow, that worked great. Thanks. Although I don't quite understand why
it should have worked where apt-get failed. The man page for dpkg says
dpkg, too, runs the pre-rm script, which is what was failing. But I'm
happy that it worked.

Most stuff installed now, and my system at least works again. I can
launch X clients and things. Although I haven't relaunched the X
server yet...

The odd thing is that I had to dist-upgrade several times before it
settled down to not wanting to do much new. Now I've got it down to
just complaining about some unmet dependencies.

So I try to apt-get -f install, but it doesn't work. Worse, this time
I don't understand the error message: even if I move away the file it
wants to overwrite, it fails with the same error.

Any suggestions or wisdom to share?

-Jeff

diderot:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
  gnome-core: Depends: gnome-bin (>= 1.2.12-2) but 1.0.56-3 is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
diderot:~# apt-get -f dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
  libdate-manip-perl libgmp3 libparse-yapp-perl libpgperl libpisock4 librep9 libservlet2.2-java libxml-enno-perl libxml-parser-perl
  libxml-perl perl-doc sawfish xserver-common-v3
The following packages have been kept back
  cygnus-stylesheets debian-policy lib-xt-java
93 packages upgraded, 13 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3  not upgraded.
19 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/32.2MB of archives. After unpacking 25.0MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
diderot:~# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
  gnome-bin
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 95  not upgraded.
19 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/93.3kB of archives. After unpacking 31.7kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
debconf: (not preconfiguring packages since apt-utils is not installed)
(Reading database ... 46741 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace gnome-bin 1.0.56-3 (using .../gnome-bin_1.2.13-9_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gnome-bin ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-bin_1.2.13-9_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man1/gnome-doc.1.gz', which is also in package gnome-dev-doc
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-bin_1.2.13-9_i386.deb
diderot:~#

 Jeff