Bill Jonas on Sun, 2 Sep 2001 18:00:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] debian upgrade confusion

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 12:56:02PM +0200, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> So I try to apt-get -f install, but it doesn't work. Worse, this time
> I don't understand the error message: even if I move away the file it
> wants to overwrite, it fails with the same error.

Keep in mind that you're moving into unstable, and you get the
occasional conflict between package, or {pre,post}{inst,rm} script that
breaks, or whatnot.  In this situation, my action would be:

~# dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-bin_1.2.13-9_i386.deb

Now, yeah, you wouldn't want to do that blindly, but from the look of
it, it just wants to overwrite a documentation file.

See also dpkg --force-help.

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin