John Beck on Sun, 2 Sep 2001 20:30:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Networking - part II

9/2/01 10:48:47 AM, Jeff Abrahamson <jeff@purple.com> wrote:

>Hi, John.
>
>I'm having emacs re-wrap your paragraphs for readability. But you seem
>to be wrapping at 100 characters or so, which is a bit wider than I
>would prefer. Something like 70 might be a better choice.

They were supposed to wrap at 70, so I am not sure why they went so wide...  I set it to 50, but it
still doesnn't seem to help.  I think that Opera might have a bug or 2 in the win32 app...  I truly
apologize for the format, and will fix it as soon as I can (and figure out how to)!

<snip>
>Do you mean how do you get to the point that you can ping? Or do you
>have a particular service in mind and want to know what application
>might provide or be a client to that service?
>
>If you just want to be able to ping, you just need an appropriate IP
>number (e.g., a 192.168.0.0 number) and netmask. RH will do this for
>you at setup time, for example. Or see the tcp/ip howto.
</snip>

No, I want more than pinging - I would like to be able to move files between the 3 machines, and
access files that are on other machines.  For example, have the linux computer be able to access
and play an .mp3 file that is on the windows computer, and vice versa...

<snip>
>Where do you get your internal IP's? Do you assign them statically?
>Via dhcp from the router? Via dhcp from @home?
</snip>

The router is getting its IP dynamically from @home.  The router is currently configured as a DHCP
server, so any machine connected to it is getting its IP dynamically from the router.  I haven't had a
need to change that (yet)!  I believe the router is doing NAT...