Jeff Abrahamson on Sun, 2 Sep 2001 23:50:18 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Networking - part II

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 02:26:39PM -0400, John Beck wrote (modula line-wrap):
> >Do you mean how do you get to the point that you can ping? Or do you
> >have a particular service in mind and want to know what application
> >might provide or be a client to that service?
> >
> >If you just want to be able to ping, you just need an appropriate IP
> >number (e.g., a 192.168.0.0 number) and netmask. RH will do this for
> >you at setup time, for example. Or see the tcp/ip howto.
> </snip>
>
> No, I want more than pinging - I would like to be able to move files
> between the 3 machines, and access files that are on other machines.
> For example, have the linux computer be able to access and play an
> .mp3 file that is on the windows computer, and vice versa...

So you want to run higher level things over tcp/ip.

The first step is to make sure you can ping from machine to
machine. I'll assume you've got that down. The next question is file
access and transfer. There are multiple ways to do this, depending on
your tastes and whether you think of linux or Windows or Mac as the
sort of primary thing.

For arbitrary file sharing, you could set up an NFS server on linux
and then use NFS clients for Mac and Win. Another possibility is to
set up samba sharing on either linux or windows and then use samba
clients on linux (mount -t smb) and windows. I presume there are samba
extensions for Mac. There are probably other ways. (I know these
things all exist, but I can't suggest products in Mac/Win space.)

You can also just use ftp and/or scp to move files around. And don't
forget http. I serve mp3's to my boyfriend using apache and Lincoln
Stein's mp3 perl/apache modules. Works very nicely with no
modifications needed on his Mac except to tell his browser to use
RealPlayer to accept mp3 streams.

It depends ultimately on what you're going to do with the files: view,
edit, create, browse, stream, etc.

This really only begins to list the possibilities, although it may
list the most likely/common ones.

> <snip>
> >Where do you get your internal IP's? Do you assign them statically?
> >Via dhcp from the router? Via dhcp from @home?
> </snip>
>
> The router is getting its IP dynamically from @home.  The router is
> currently configured as a DHCP server, so any machine connected to
> it is getting its IP dynamically from the router.  I haven't had a
> need to change that (yet)!  I believe the router is doing NAT...

Ah, that helps to understand what you've got. But now I understand
that this isn't so much network setup as what you do with it from
there.

--
 Jeff