Jeff Abrahamson on Sun, 2 Sep 2001 17:00:15 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Networking - part II

Hi, John.

I'm having emacs re-wrap your paragraphs for readability. But you seem
to be wrapping at 100 characters or so, which is a bit wider than I
would prefer. Something like 70 might be a better choice.

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 09:33:46AM -0400, John Beck wrote:

> 9/2/01 9:09:45 AM, Jeff Abrahamson <jeff@purple.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> >On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 08:35:04AM -0400, John Beck wrote:
> >You're behind a NAT'ing router? Then you should probably want to use a
> >192.168.0.0 net on the inside. In any case, you can't invent @home
> >names or numbers. Maybe I'm missing your question.
> </snip>
>
> Basically, I mean is it safe to rename the computer name and the
> workgroup of the computer behind the router, because the router is
> presenting that info to the internet now?  Currently, both the
> router and the computer have the same name / workgroup, and I just
> wanted to make sure that I could rename the computer (which resolves
> via DHCP) - I think I can - just wanted to make sure...

Yes, if it's not the machine presented to the world, you can name it
whatever you like. You have to resolve the name yourself for your own
network.

> <snip>
> >A server install will give you what you want. Be sure to disable
> >dangerous things, since RH isn't to tight on security. Especially if
> >you are going to be accessible to the outside world (via port
> >forwarding, for example).
> </snip>
>
> Does RedHat's default server install include a GUI?  Seeing as it is
> my only full time linux computer, I would like it to have the gui in
> case I actually wanted to use it for other things, like getting my
> mail in Kmail, or participating in IRC.  I guess ideally it would be
> better to use 2 seperate computers, but my wife would shoot me!  :-)

You can always install more things afterwards. Just mount the RH CD,
cd to the RPMS directory and "rpm -ihv k*rpm" or something.

> <snip>
> >I give names on my LAN that are meaningful to me but don't resolve
> >outside. So purple.com knows about www, list, and puddle. Inside I've
> >got gw, diderot, and descartes. Those last three resolve for me to
> >192.168.0.0 addresses; they won't resolve for you. This works for me
> >and my needs.
> </snip>
>
> That was pretty much my question.  Using your example, if you have a
> computer called gw, is that the localhost name, or the localdomain
> name?  I am trying to get a feel for what that looks like.  For gw,
> what does it look like in the localhost.localdomain format?  Do all
> the computers that you have share the same localdomain?

The hostname is gw. The fully qualified name is gw.purple.com. Except
it won't really resolve, because only my internal DNS knows that, and
you can't see my internal DNS.

> <snip>
> >As soon as you're pondering workgroups, it's no longer a tcp/ip
> >question but a Win configuration issue. I can't help, sorry.
> </snip>
>
> I only gave the workgroup example because that's what I am familiar
> with...  How do you connect from one computer to another computer on
> the internal network?

Do you mean how do you get to the point that you can ping? Or do you
have a particular service in mind and want to know what application
might provide or be a client to that service?

If you just want to be able to ping, you just need an appropriate IP
number (e.g., a 192.168.0.0 number) and netmask. RH will do this for
you at setup time, for example. Or see the tcp/ip howto.

> <snip>
> >But I'm confused. Above you were talking about a DMZ, which suggests
> >to me that you have someting like
> </snip>
>
> I only mentioned the DMZ because the manual said it is a way of
> letting the computer be accessible to the outside world.  I think I
> can just use port forwarding of port 80 to let people get to the web
> site that I want to host...
>
> Without the picture, my setup is basically: the cable modem goes
> into the wan port on the router.  Port 4 on the router connects to
> the Win98 computer (with dual boot slack8.0).  Port 3 on the router
> will connect to the linux computer we are talking about (the RedHat
> server for the website) once I run the cable.  Port 2 on the router
> will be used for my WinME laptop, on the rare occasions I need to
> connect to the internet for anything.  Port 1 is not being used for
> anything (and my wife says it better stay that way!  :-)

So either the router is doing NAT for you and you have the second
drawing, or it is just a hub, in which case you have each of your
machines getting a DHCP'd IP from @home. Probably the first.

Where do you get your internal IP's? Do you assign them statically?
Via dhcp from the router? Via dhcp from @home?

--
 Jeff