Jeff Abrahamson on Fri, 7 Sep 2001 00:30:51 +0200

[PLUG] XFree86 v4 setup

Ah, so debian gives me another pleasure.

After upgrading stable --> woody, I restarted my X server. Well, shut
down would be more accurate.

Not present on my newly upgraded machine are startx, xdm, or xinit. I
tried (brazenly) executing X. My monitor has no idea what to do with
the results of that, and control-alt-backspace reboots the
machine. (C-A-DEL does nothing there.)

Also not present is anything that looks like an X configurator
(Xconfigurator, XF86Setup, etc.).

It appears that dpkg thinks I have XFree86 version 4.1 installed. But
it sure doesn't feel like a windowing system. :(

Help! (he says in his weakened state of 1980-era interfaces)

Any thoughts?

--
 Jeff