Kyle R . Burton on Fri, 7 Sep 2001 00:30:50 +0200

Re: [PLUG] KOffice - Error running Kvivio

> I'm assuming that you are running Mandrake. What version?

Yup, 8.0.

> Under Mandrake 8.0, the new kOffice 1.1 RPMs for Mandrake installed without
> too much hastle (I'm also running KDE 2.2). The only problem I ran into was
> trying to force the GUI Software Manager app to not try to install
> koffice-2.0.1-11mdk, which it still thinks is an update to koffice-1.1-1mdk.
> Not sure why the Mandrake CDs had a higher number on the RPM.
>
> Of course, it looks like you might be building from the sources and
> targetting Mandrake, so you might have some more twiddling to do (need the
> right incantations, etc. I find that repeating the word Ohm while shaking
> some sort of stick from the Carribean works for me). I haven't used Kivio
> that much (I did run it to make sure it runs before posting this response),
> but the other office apps from kOffice 1.1 work relatively well for my needs.

Yeah, I'm interested in possibly building an app based on Kivio (or
something like it).  I'm considering building a data-scrubbing
application with a data-flow type of architecutre.  Being able to build
the data-flow and configure the scrubbing app (and eventualy executing
it) using a GIU like Kivio's would be ideal.

> I haven't done much development with KDE/QT. I believe there's a guy who's
> done a fair amount of KDE/QT development, named Ian Reinhart Geisser, giving
> a presentation on KDE at the 10/3 PLUG meeting. I think he's also trying to
> get a form of KDE development workshop together.

Hmm...I'll have to try to make that meeting then.  I've been going
through some of the QT and KDE tutorials and guides.  QT seems
straightforward (I've used MFC before and it seems vastly superior).
The signal/slots architecture seems simple enough.  I just need more
experience working with it (two days and counting at this point).

> Hope this helps,

It does, thanks.

Kyle R. Burton

If you do not get it from yourself,