Bill Jonas on Sun, 9 Sep 2001 01:20:15 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Configuring Mutt for Pop3 email

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 06:58:07PM -0400, John Beck wrote:
> Can anyone post step by step verbose instructions on how to configure
> mutt to receive email from a Pop3 account, and send email using an
> SMTP server?  I would really appreciate the help!  By the way, this is
> on RedHat 7.1 if it matters...

For pop3 support, have a look at
<http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-4.html#ss4.10>.  It appears you
just set pop_host and pop_user in your .muttrc and then get your mail by
hitting G (assuming you haven't changed the default keybinding).

Mutt does not include support for sending mail via SMTP on its own.  The
reason for this is explained at the very bottom of
<http://www.mutt.org/links.html>.  If you're interested in *only*
sending mail, note the link for sSMTP; it's a minimalist MTA that only
sends mail.  It does not receive or deliver mail locally.  Since you
probably need local delivery anyway (cron jobs sending mail to their
owners, system notifications to root, etc.), you shouldn't have to do
anything extra if your MTA is configured properly.

Well, that was neither verbose nor step-by-step, but I go to where my
mail is rather than bringing it to me (except at work, where I do IMAP),
so I really haven't messed with POP3.  Hope this helps, though.

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin