Jason Nocks on Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:29:03 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Help with dual boot disaster

On Thursday 13 September 2001 12:54 pm, you wrote:
> Hi--
>
> After about a month, my dual boot Windows 2000 Professional/Red Hat 7.2
> Sony Viao laptop, when in Windows mode, gave me a blue screen of death,
> and when I rebooted, an "operating system not found" message. Booting

I've seen this before. The file "ntoskrnl.exe" is probably missing or
corrupt. It's not as serious as it sounds. One way to recover is to get a
copy of "ntoskrnl.exe" from another Windows 2000 machine and copy it onto
your system32 directory. It might also be the the boot.ini file, etc.

> the machine from DOS on a floppy shows that no drives... The disk was

You probably have an NTFS partition, which old DOS disks would not be able to
read. The old DOS filesystem was FAT (FAT16). If you had created a Windows
2000 rescue disk, you might have been able to boot from that. Maybe.

> partitioned with Partition Magic. The last software I installed (in
> Windows) was a Bernouili CD burner (ironically, for the backups I
> didn't perform).
>
> Obviously, I want to reconfigure the machine as Linux only, but is
> there any way I can get my Windows data back? (There's about 5 days of
> Python coding on it I want to get back...

If you just want your data, mount the partion under Linux. Again, it's
probably NTFS. You may want to mount it as read-only, and I believe that it
may be safely treated as HPFS. Then, you should be able to retrieve your data.

If you're not familiar with mount, etc. - Do a "man mount" for some info on
mount (or "info mount" for that matter). You can also do a net search for
Linux and NTFS and you'll get plenty of hits to check out.

> Thanks a lot for any help you can give.
>
> Sam Hunting

Hope this helps,
-Jason Nocks (an old M$ programmer, longtime Linux user)