JP Toto on Thu, 13 Sep 2001 16:31:33 +0200

Re: [PLUG] And so it begins.. [OT]

I brought this up to my uncle who works computer fraud
for the FBI at our last family function. (I imagine
right now he would be hard to get ahold of) While I
don't like Carnivore it's actually a bit better than
the current situation. Right now when the Feds want
some email they just come in and take whole servers.
Then they sift through ALL the email looking for what
they want, not just the mail they have authorization
to look for. At least with Carnivore they get
subpeonas and then only take the email from people
they are looking for (theoretically). He told me a few
accounts of uncooperative ISPs or companies they were
investigating for fraud and whatnot - and if they
didn't hand over the hardware. The Feds came in and
took it themselves. I don't want to sound uninformed
or that Im giving in but I'll take Carnivore over what
the current practice is. Just my $0.02. If you guys
think Im way off Im happy to hear what you have to
say! :-)   - JP

<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46747,00.html>

> "An administrator at one major network service
> provider said that FBI agents
> showed up at his workplace on Tuesday "with a couple
> of Carnivores,
> requesting permission to place them in our core,
> along with offers to
> actually pay for circuits and costs."
>   "The person declined to say for publication what
> the provider's response
> was, "but a lot of people" at other firms were
> quietly going along with the
> FBI's request. "I know that they are getting a lot
> of 'OKs' because they
> made it a point to mention that they would only be
> covering our core for a
> few days, while their 'main boxes were being set up
> at the Tier 1 carriers'
> -- scary," the engineer said."

=====
---