Arthur Alexion on Fri, 14 Sep 2001 01:00:46 +0200

Re: [PLUG] And so it begins.. [OT]

Anyone who follows this sort of thing may have heard about the illegal
betting prosecution of Nicodemo Scarfo (the son of now imprisoned former
mob boss).  Apparently he was using PGP to encrypt his betting records
and the FBI couldn't crack it.  Rather than trying, they installed the
keystroke monitoring software on his computer and recorded him entering
his passwords, etc.  They grabbed his computer AFTER they had the
passwords they needed.

Before trial, his attorneys requested information regarding the
technological surveillance used so that they could understand it enough
to prepare any motions to suppress evidence.  This sort of thing would
normally have to be turned over, but the FBI objected on national
security grounds, indicating that the technology was also in use in
sensitive national security matters.

Scarfo's attorneys objected arguing, why would the FBI jeopardize the
secrecy of this technology on a routine book making case, "Did they think
that Osama bin Laden was placing bets with my client?"  This exchange
took place in a court room in Newark within the past two weeks.  Ironic.

Art

On 9/13/01, 10:20:33 AM, JP Toto <viceclown@yahoo.com> wrote regarding Re:
[PLUG] And so it begins.. [OT]:

> Right now when the Feds want
> some email they just come in and take whole servers.
> Then they sift through ALL the email looking for what
> they want, not just the mail they have authorization
> to look for. At least with Carnivore they get
> subpeonas and then only take the email from people
> they are looking for (theoretically).

Art Alexion                       mailto:arthur@alexion.com
Arthur S. Alexion LLC                http://www.alexion.com
Click