Mike Leone on Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:34:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RPM Question

> RPM continues to baffle me for some reason so I have a
> quickie: Im using RedHat 7.1 and have downloaded the
> new kde 2.2 rpm files from the kde web site. If I want
> to just go into the directory I have those .rpm files
> in and issue the "rpm" command to install them all and
> automatically install their dependancies is there a
> way to do that? Assuming I have all the Red Hat
> updates and dependancies that kde 2.2 wants? Is there
> a way to make them install in the correct order so
> that they won't crap out and complain that some
> component isn't installed even though the rpm for it
> is right there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes; rpm -Uvh *.rpm should install them all properly
(Upgrade, verify, show hash marks as progress indicators)

BUT:

I would do a test first - rpm -Uvh --test *.rpm, to verify the dependencies
first. Also, I'm told that it's a good idea to remove the .kde directory
from your home directory; this allows KDE to write out a whole new batch of
settings, without having to worry about settings conflicts. This is a pain,
because then you lose any customizations - personalized icons, colors,
fonts, etc.

DOES make for a cleaner upgrade, tho.