aab on Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:41:08 +0200

Re: [PLUG] 802.11 Questions

Try these pages for a Linux spin on your problem, the first is a D-I-Y
article and the second is very good wireless-Linux resource.

   http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2001/03/06/recipe.html
   http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

You should have no problem doing this, unless the range is an issue, in
which case, toss in a "range extender" (antenna).  Wireless LAN support
for Linux is like most things ... pick the card that has driver support
for the longest, or one that matchs that chipset, etc.  Since they have
managed to roll wireless support into LRP's resource limits, you should
have no problem adding it to full systems.

Mind you, range (as you described it) should not be an issue unless you
have forgotten about that lead-lined, Superman-Xray-vision-blocking rug
you have on the floor in the upper room.

The factor that might be the issue is the cost limit.  Do you have any
cards already?  The cards for a desktop usually include the cost of the
PCMCIA adapter (~$50) and that's leaving you ~$100 per card to find one
that is supported by the Linux community.  Not impossible, but you have
limits defined.  If you already have one card (for a laptop, whatever),
you won't have any difficulty squeezing the needed equipment into $250.

andrew.