Kyle R . Burton on Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:59:29 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SSH question

> I did that - created a public/private key pair using PUTTY/PUTTYGEN (all my
> remote accessing folks will be using Windows). I copied the public key part
> to /.ssh/authorized_keys. Connected using PUTTY.
>
> It didn't ask me for *my* private key passphrase; all it asked me for was
> the ID I wanted to log in with. Not quite what I want.

Putty first needs to know who you're trying to connect to the remote host as.
I've read in Putty's docs that if you configure a session and save it, you
can then specify user@session_name to automaticly provide the id.  If
need be you can also create a shortcut for it:

  putty user@session_name

I think you can also use plink to acheive cmdline parmeters similar to ssh
under linux:

  plink -ssh -l user hostname_or_ip_address

I am currently using putty and pagent on win2k with the same public/private
keypair that I use under Linux with openssh and it works fine - if I don't
specify the username, it prompts me - if I do, it asks me for the passphrase.
I'm using pagent so I only have to provide the passphrase once and then
ssh [er putty] and scp [er pscp] to my heart's content.

Using plink, I even have CVS working over ssh [putty] under win2k:

  @REM /home/user/bin/pssh.bat
  @plink -ssh %*

  # in my environment [cygwin32 bash]:
  export CVS_RSH=c:\\home\\user\\bin\\pssh.bat
  export CVSROOT=:ext:user@host:/path/to/cvsroot

Hope this helps.

Kyle

If you do not get it from yourself,