Mike Leone on Mon, 17 Sep 2001 22:00:32 +0200

Re: [PLUG] SSH question

> The user first creates a public/private key pair.  The private part of the
> keypair is protected with the passphrase.  The public part is...well,
public.

> The user puts the public key on any boxes where they want to be able to
use the
> private key to connect to (adding it to the authorized_keys file).

> When the user connects to the box, the sshd daemon on that box looks at
> the authorized_keys file in their ~/.ssh directory and sees that they have

I did that - created a public/private key pair using PUTTY/PUTTYGEN (all my
remote accessing folks will be using Windows). I copied the public key part
to /.ssh/authorized_keys. Connected using PUTTY.

It didn't ask me for *my* private key passphrase; all it asked me for was
the ID I wanted to log in with. Not quite what I want.