Adam Schaible on Tue, 18 Sep 2001 06:50:20 +0200

[PLUG] problems with mandrake upgrade

Hi everyone, I decided I wanted to upgrade from
Mandrake 7.1 to 8.0 after being impressed with a
friend's install. I burned some CDs, backed up
important files, and chose the "upgrade" option from
the Install CD. It replaced a bunch of my packages,
but it also seems to have run roughshod over all of my
configuration files... I can't use my modem (ttyS3 is
now mapped as a "phantom" port, the symbolic link to
/dev/modem is busted, setserial says the port is
"busy".) I also can't start X because it looks like
.xinitrc and .xsession got vaporized :)

Has anyone else had problems using the "upgrade"
feature? It might seem like the easy way out, but I'm
very tempted to try a fresh install on reformatted
partitions and then restore my personal files from
backup.

Thanks for your help,

-Adam