Mike Pflugfelder on Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:00:19 +0200

[PLUG] Keys: SSH, PGP, etc...

Hi all,
	Recently, I've had some problems that have forced me to look much
deeper into security.  I've started to use SSH and now I'm looking at PGP,
GPG, signing e-mail, encrypting e-mail and things like that.  What I'm
looking for is any help on deciphering all of the acronyms and such that I
start seeing.  RSA, PKI, DES and such.  I was planning on attending the
meeting on 9/11 and asking some questions there.  Most likely, I'll be at
the next meeting, but is there some good web pages that someone can point me
to so that I can start to learn on my own, or maybe answer some of my
questions in advance.  Also, I do have one question off the top of my head
that maybe someone can answer right now:

I have generated a key pair for SSH.  I've got that sitting close by.  I've
also generated a key pair (I believe) for GPG.  Can the two be interchanged?
Am I creating the same type of keys and I just need to do something
different for them to work for both applications?

Also, I've read about a website (I forget the name right now) that will
offer free keys for public use of signing / encrypting e-mail.  Should I
look at someplace like that to get a key?

Thanks for any help,
-Mike Pflugfelder