Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:30:13 +0200

[PLUG] Re: PLUG digest, Vol 1 #1089 - 1 msg

> I'm wondering if now is the time to try to make serious inroads on the
> desktop? With M$ customer "rape" licensing, many IT managers may be willing

Usually, other people's money. If they only know MS, why use something
else?

> to look closely at using linux for more than just file/print/web serving.
> This could be a good opportunity to get a foot in the door with IT desktops
> systems. I think a well configured and stripped down linux running KDE2.2 or
> Ximian Gnome and OpenOffice 6 is sufficient for many corporate users. I use

This is true.

> a linux workstation at work, and have gotten to the point that I don't even
> need VMWare at work anymore. What have your experiences been?

I am a lab worker, but I love computers. I have linux on my desktop, but
nobody else will use it, fear. I let one person use it and it was very
easy, he will install staroffice...under win 98.

Main trouble is fear and support. If you have good support it will work.
The uppper management has to be behind it. They need to be informed. If
you give users a choice they will use whatever they used last. They must
be 'forced' to use linux like they were 'forced' to use windows.

Where I work, I won't bother w/ linux b/c if something goes wrong they
will blame me. However, support isses for me have been the same. I get
pestered constantly about the mac OS and winows support. Linux is harder
for a desktop user to mess up so support issues should be lower.

Fred