Eric Allan Lucas on Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:40:21 +0200

[PLUG] Perplexing BUS mouse problem

I have a friend who's trying to get Red Hat 7.1 running on his
PC and he's having trouble with, of all things, a Logitech
three button bus mouse.

Keep in mind that this computer is reasonably OLD and the
other OS he boots into is Windows For Workgroups 3.11 !

The symptoms are: With the ordinary busmouse module installed
X will not recognize the mouse at all and therefore fails to start.
Once we insmod the logitech busmouse module, X will start just
fine but the mouse cursor NEVER MOVES.  gpm never works either as
it turns out so it's not just X (AFAIK).

Now, he says (I have not seen) that the busmouse card has jumpers
which allow you to select the "COM Port" that it uses.  I thought
that this must mean it select the IRQ and IO for the device.  Since
Windows can tolerate multiple devices on the same IRQ but linux
cannot, we have no guarantee that working under WFW means it should
work under Linux.  I suspect that the built-in  serial port in the
PC is trying to respond to the module and it hangs it up.  I'm going
to advise him to switch the busmouse to COM3 or COM4 and see if that
will free up the busmouse under Linux.
I read the busmouse HOWTO but did not find any mention of anything
like this.  Also, how does the module know WHICH IRQ to use?  Is
there a configuration somewhere?  Do we have to recompile the
logitech busmouse module first?

Is there anybody with some busmouse experience?  I have not
configured one in years so I forget what I did to make it work.
Does this (previous) explanation and my guess about a possible cause
seem to make sense to anybody?

Thanks in advance.

Eric Lucas