Fred K Ollinger on Thu, 4 Oct 2001 12:53:36 -0400

Re: [PLUG] A few newbie questions :-)

> > I understand that, but I didn't think the distinction was that important
> > for the purpose of this conversation.
> We're helping out a newbie.  I figured that this is most opportune
> time to clear up that common point of confusion.  GNOME and KDE
> are desktop environments that rely on a window manager.  Window
> managers rely on X.  They each provide separate functions.

And also it would be confusing to realize that different wm's can be used
under kde or gnome.

This is important to realize b/c it gives users choice, stability, and
control over their environment far beyond skinning.

Fred