Greg Lopp on Thu, 4 Oct 2001 12:46:29 -0400

Re: [PLUG] A few newbie questions :-)

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 11:54:31AM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 11:43:39AM -0400, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> > KDE and GNOME are NOT window managers, never where never will be and no how.
> > KDE and GNOME are desktop enviroments, afterstep and friends are window
> > managers.
>
> I understand that, but I didn't think the distinction was that important
> for the purpose of this conversation.
We're helping out a newbie.  I figured that this is most opportune
time to clear up that common point of confusion.  GNOME and KDE
are desktop environments that rely on a window manager.  Window
managers rely on X.  They each provide separate functions.