kaze on Thu, 4 Oct 2001 17:10:13 +0200

[PLUG] A few newbie questions :-)

:-) Just installed RH 7.1 on my laptop (dual booting with W2K AS), but want
to patch it prior to putting it on the Internet. How do you know what
patches are needed and where do you get them from? Are there Linux patches
in addition to distribution specific ones?

:-) How do you set up hibernation under Linux? (Like where you save memory
and state to disk and shut down totally, then power back up to exactly where
you were insofar as windows open, programs running etc..)

:-) I know you can run *n*x just as a CLI. But can you just run X-Windows
_without_ Gnome or KDE? What would you get?

:-) Is it straightforward to upgrade to new versions of kernels or
distributions or easier / better to reinstall? Is this all about planning
partitions?

TIA!!!

"self-regulation is fine when the consumer's interests are at stake, but
legislation is thought essential when the spooks consider their interests to
be at stake."
-- Marc Rotenberg