Nathan Thompson on Thu, 4 Oct 2001 17:30:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] A few newbie questions :-)

Hi Mark,

First of all, www.google.com, groups.google.com, and www.linuxdoc.org
are your friends :)

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 10:52:57AM -0400, kaze wrote:
> :-) Just installed RH 7.1 on my laptop (dual booting with W2K AS), but want
> to patch it prior to putting it on the Internet. How do you know what
> patches are needed and where do you get them from? Are there Linux patches
> in addition to distribution specific ones?

It has been long enough since I used RedHat that I don't remember how
they work this stuff.  In any rate, go ahead and get the machine
connected to the 'net -- you'll have to be online to get any newer
packages anyway.

"patches" usually means that you are downloading a newer version of a
package from your distribution.

> :-) How do you set up hibernation under Linux? (Like where you save memory
> and state to disk and shut down totally, then power back up to exactly where
> you were insofar as windows open, programs running etc..)

There is a utility around, something like suspend to disk, but I don't
know how good / useful it is -- check on google or freshmeat.net

> :-) I know you can run *n*x just as a CLI. But can you just run X-Windows
> _without_ Gnome or KDE? What would you get?

well you need to run some window manager...  there are many to choose
from.  Search at freshmeat.net for window managers and see what you
get..  They span the spectrum of functionality, size, and speed -- I
like blackbox a lot -- it's small and quick, but still is quite useful
IMHO.

> :-) Is it straightforward to upgrade to new versions of kernels or
> distributions or easier / better to reinstall? Is this all about planning
> partitions?

There are a couple of ways that upgrading the kernel can be done:
 o  Wait until your distribution has packaged a newer version of the
    kernel and just upgrade using the newer package
 o  do it yourself:  go to kernel.org (use a mirror such as
    ftp.us.kernel.org), download the new kernel source, and then read
    about compiling your own kernel in the how-tos at www.linuxdoc.org.
    This option means you need to know what options to compile in the
    kernel to support the hardware you have

Hope this helps!

Nate