Mike Leone on Thu, 4 Oct 2001 17:40:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] A few newbie questions :-)

> :-) Just installed RH 7.1 on my laptop (dual booting with W2K AS), but
want
> to patch it prior to putting it on the Internet. How do you know what
> patches are needed and where do you get them from? Are there Linux patches
> in addition to distribution specific ones?

The "Linux" patches are usually provided by your distribution, as well.

RedHat has a tool called ... up2date? ... that lists all security
fixes/patches for their distribution. Additionally, you can download all
their patches off their website (somewhere ...). Plus, they have a mail list
that will alert you to any new patches released.

Oh, and start subscribing to BugTraq or similar security lists. New
vulnerabilities (and the patches to fix them) are also announced on these
lists.

Security is a proactive thing, regardless of OS.

> :-) How do you set up hibernation under Linux? (Like where you save memory
> and state to disk and shut down totally, then power back up to exactly
where
> you were insofar as windows open, programs running etc..)

You mean like a laptop does? You're running Win2K Advanced Server on a
*laptop*? :-) I used to have a friend who ran an Exchange server off a
Toshiba Libretto sub-notebook ...

> :-) I know you can run *n*x just as a CLI. But can you just run X-Windows
> _without_ Gnome or KDE? What would you get?

You'd get a different window manager. :-) There are ... what, like a dozen
you could use. Black Box, IceWM, Enlightenment, etc. GNOME and KDE are full
desktop environments.

It's not like Windows, where just about everybody uses the one GUI/shell
(yes, there are alternatives on the Windows platform, but they're really
rare, few and far between).

> :-) Is it straightforward to upgrade to new versions of kernels or
> distributions or easier / better to reinstall? Is this all about planning
> partitions?

Well, partitions and kernels aren't really related. Actually, it's not
*that* hard to update a kernel (and these days, many people DON'T need to
re-compile a kernel, since many distributions come with loadable modules for
like EVERYTHING; you can just load the appropriate modules).

Of course, re-compiling your own module is practically a rite of passage in
Linux ... <G>

However, planning partitions *is* a good idea - you put /, /usr, and so on,
on separate partitions. Makes upgrading easier, among other things. Bit more
difficult to do AFTER you've installed the OS, but still possible.