William Shank on Mon, 8 Oct 2001 15:22:27 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Update strategy: RH6.2->RH7.1

i just told my bios to try to boot from other devices.

i have a promise ata/66 both at home and at work, and the system bioses are
a little different for each (both running linux). my home machine, i just
had to tell it to try other boot devices and COULD NOT have any hdd in
positions a to d (hda-hdd) otherwise the bios tries that disk and doesn't
find an os. at work, i tell it to use the card (it's detected by the bios -
dell dimension xps) and I can still have a second disk at hda-hdd, but i
found the problem with that was trying to write lilo to the second disk vs
the first disk. for some reason, lilo ONLY wanted to write to the boot
sector of the first disk - regardless of what i instructed it to do. i
solved this issue by getting an ide cable long enough to allow the second
disk to attach to the second controller of the card. i still have
cdrom/writers/LS120/zip drives connected to the on-board controller, this
isn't a problem. also, some bioses let the add-on controller be the hda-hdd
controller and either disabling the on-board or making the on-board assume
hde-hdh. also there is a linux kernel module or directive that will also
boot add-on cards as the hda-hdd disks and make the on-board appear as
hde-hdh, but i think you need to have it compiled into the kernel. never
used it but i know it's there.

hope this helps.