William Shank on Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:46:55 -0400

RE: [PLUG] John "MAD DOG" Hall in Philadelphia 10/10 (fwd)

i think you give too much credit to this Marketing person's forethought. do
you think they even know what the different platforms are let alone that
someone couldn't read their document. This ficticious Marketing person
probably never even thinks about if someone can open her document because
every computer she has ever used was running windows and office. so to her,
word is ubiquitous. i image _my_ ficticious Marketing person doesn't know
the difference between platforms and compatibility, and i like it that
way...  ;^0 oh yeah...

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin McAllister
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: 10/9/01 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] John "MAD DOG" Hall in Philadelphia 10/10 (fwd)

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001 paul@dpagin.net wrote:

> There are Linux-based applications that read and write files in Word
format. Word is also
> a business standard. Wouldn't it be better to follow the path of Samba
and embrace Word
> instead of avoiding it?

most of the apps that read and write files in word format don't display
the same cross platform.  And of course if you tweak your MS word
settings
it can severly impact a documents ability to display an idea
effectively.
I would imagine that if a Marketing person wanted to do their job
effectively they would ensure that all platforms could view the
information as he inteneded.  A more effective standard like
html, postscript, or adobe's pdf would have served this person much
better
as all on the list and across most business communities would have
something to read the document and see it layed out as intended.

> (This is an e-mail sent from Win98SE. This will post immediately,
while the the one sent
> from Linux took a day to show up.)

There is obviously something either mis-configured somewhere, or you
have
an expectation that is counter to the way your Linux system was set up.