gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 10 Oct 2001 01:10:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Another SSH question...

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 11:29:33AM -0400, Guillermo Moyna wrote:
> I have installed ssh-1.2.27-1 in one of the 'open' servers for
> 'secure' remote access to our network. It works fine, but there is a
> 'but'. I use Nifty-telnet 1.1 on a Mac as the ssh client, and if I
> mistakenly 'close' the window without properly login out of the ssh
> session, the ssh daemon has a mental breakdown, reports receiving a
> 'signal 15' to the logfile, and dies. Meaning, I cannot log in again
> because the sshd died, which is a catch 22 type problem.

Huh? The only sshd that can conceivably die in this situation is the
child that the real daemon forked off to handle your connection.
There's no way that anything you do in a given ssh session should
affect the original parent daemon unless something is woefully
wrong.

Could you start the sshd, give a ps auwx showing the initially
started daemon, then ssh in with NiftyTelnet, show the ps output
again, then close the NiftyTelnet window, then grab the log messages
that accrue from that event, and post all of these?

> Any clues? Has anyone experienced this behavior with Nifty-telnet or
> other ssh clients?

I've never seen that behavior, but I also always hit ^D long before
I'd reach for the mouse to close a window.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net