paul on Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:40:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] OT: Help with finding employment please?

I don't know if this response should be public or private. (I will eventually
relate your position to my own, but I don't know if I'm leading up to anything!)

I saw that you earned a BS in psychology. Then you went for an AAS in
electronics. Followed by focused computer technology training, certification,
and experience. On the positive side, you are educated, goal oriented, and
you've decided to stick with the computer field. On the negative side, it looks
like you did some job hopping in the computer field, and most of your
educational background is not computer related.

I went from doing drywall finishing to earning an AAS in electronics to doing
computer work. On the positive side, my AAS helps me to meet minimum education
requirements for some jobs, I have computer work experience and a bunch of
certifications, and I have skills that go beyond my education or work
experience. On the negative side, most employers don't seem to think that the
AAS in electronics is relevant, that my past work experience does not fit their
needs precisely, and maybe that my hacker spirit might pose a problem.

I've seen people with less ability get jobs that I would have wanted. To be
honest, before I booted up and got on line, I was feeling very depressed and
worthless because I don't have the job that I've been wanting and preparing for
for years. I've been staying home with my 2 1/2 year old for the past 9 1/2
months (which is actually a very positive thing). Meanwhile, the economy has
gone south (along with my tech stocks), many people started getting laid off,
then our country was attacked!

I don't think I have a point to make. 8-)

Check Chubb for teaching jobs. The U of Penn had a few listings that matched the
keyword "network".

What did Mad Dog mean by "hit the pavement"? Is he suggesting going door to
door, which I've considered?