Kevin McAllister on Thu, 11 Oct 2001 22:00:20 +0200

Re: [PLUG] John "MAD DOG" Hall in Philadelphia 10/10 (fwd)

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
<SNIP>
> ... one of the great ironies of Mac OS and Windows has always been
> that they absolutely *refuse* to deal with Postscript in any sensible
> way. It's ridiculous that ps *cannot* be (usefully) used as an
> on-disk format in these operating systems, especially since what
> they do with their fancy, resource-forked or MS-gobbledy-gooked
> formats is translate them to postscript before sending them down
> the wire to the printer (any printer, yes including Apple printers).

Coming from working with a Mac exclusively for about 3 years I can attest
that in MacOS 8 (possibly in 7.5 but I don't remember) and later you could
just drop a postscript file on the printer icon and it would print it
correctly.  Also there was ghostscript for viewing it.