Nathan Thompson on Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:20:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] ASCII encoding question...

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 09:27:15AM -0400, William Shank wrote:
> i have a web page written on MS and linux, deployed on solaris. There is
> copyright, trademark, and m-dashes in the page(s). On linux and windows and
> our staging solaris box the copyright/registered mark/etc display without
> any problem. when i scp the file to the hosting box (this is a flex account
> via uunet - so they did the intial install and we get the managment pains)
> the codes get changed into what looks like their acsii value (ie:
> copyright=<backslash>256). what would be causing this? does anyone know how
> to change it on solaris?

I don't know why the conversion is taking place, but there are several
ways to get around it....

The first being, you should be using the HTML entity codes anyway (e.g.,
copyright = &copy; )

The second is, compress the files before transfer, then uncompress after
transfer.

I'm sure there are other ways as well :)

> TIA
>
> chris

Nate