William Shank on Wed, 17 Oct 2001 18:50:19 +0200

RE: [PLUG] BSA offering a grace period

infoworld did a series of articles on this in their gripe line column. from
what they are saying it's empty threats. did a MS salesperson contact you
shortly afterwards? that's the game. send the threat, then MS rides in like
the good guy, "helping you become compliant"

my company is SERIOUSLY looking at Linux for file serving AND as a desktop
workstation. and it's directly because of this kind of crap - and M$'s new
license scheme too.

-----Original Message-----
From: news@kippona.com
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: 10/17/01 12:25 PM
Subject: [PLUG] BSA offering a grace period

Have others received a letter from the Business Software
Alliance?  It offers a grace period before potential
investigation and imposition of penalties.  If so what approach
are you taking?  I heard a radio program on Sunday afternoon,
where a guest from Temple described the hoops they are jumping
through for the BSA.  It is an expensive multi-year process for
them.

The BSA is Adobe, Apple, Autodesk, Bentley, CNC, FileMaker,
Macromedia, Microsoft, Symantec and UGS.

Chris