Bill Jonas on Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:54:53 -0400

Re: [PLUG] VAIO update and APM/firewire question

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 10:23:51AM -0400, William Shank wrote:
>  well now that i got it working, i'm wondering if anyone knows about this
> new APM
>  spec, i think it's called APMI. this laptop uses it vs the older APM spec.
> so right
>  now i can't suspend it or anything.

Do you mean ACPI?  Linux support both APM and ACPI.  These are kernel
config options.  You can put your laptop to sleep with programs in
userspace.  Look for a program called apm.  I believe you can put your
machine to sleep with 'apm -s'.  I don't know what the package names are
on RedHat, but on Debian there are two main packages, apmd and
apm-sleep.  Try mounting the CD-ROMs that came with your distribution
and doing "find /cdrom -name '*apm*.rpm'" (this is assuming that your CD
is mounted on /cdrom).

>  also, anyone know where linux is with firewire support?

In the 2.4.12 kernel, it's marked as experimental.  I haven't checked
2.4.13 (which was just released) yet.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin
If encryption is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir rapelcgvba.