Greg Lopp on Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:17:01 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Mail setup questions

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 01:25:11PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Maybe this will help. I just configured Pine to send mail. (It can't recieve
> yet.)
>
> I just went into Setup/Config and changed two lines.
> user-domain = paul@dpagin.net
> smtp-server = smtp.rcn.com
>
> Now, how do I tell it to grab mail from mail.dpagin.net?

If you use fetchmail, then you can try other mail readers with
less trouble.  My ~/.fetchmailrc file looks roughly like :
defaults
        user lopp

poll pop.fuse.net proto POP3:
        fetchall smtpaddress localhost
        password <SNIP>;

poll mail.earthlink.net proto POP3:
        fetchall smtpaddress localhost
        password <SNIP>;

set daemon 300

I use the defaults section because my username on both
mailservers is lopp (lopp@fuse.net and lopp@earthlink.net)
Everything between "poll" and ";" relates to a given mailserver.
The syntax is "poll <mailserver name> proto <protocol used>:"
The protocol can be POP3, IMAP, AUTO or several others listed in
the man page, but this is determined by the server. Next,
"fetchall" means that it will get all mail on the server and
delete it from the server.  The "smtpaddress localhost" means
that the fetched mail is forwarded to localhost, ie my local
MDA (sendmail in my case).  The mail will now be directed to
greg@localhost, since I am running fetchmail as user "greg".  The
value after "password" is removed for obvious reasons.  The last
line means that the first time that I type "fetchmail", it will
launch into daemon mode, automatically checking for mail every
300 seconds.  Typing "fetchmail" anytime thereafter will signal
fetchmail to check for email immediately.  "fetchmail --quit"
would stop all this.  "fetchmail --daemon 0" would override the
daemon mode thing and only check email once - usefull for
checking your configuration.