epike on Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:39:56 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Mail setup questions

SENDMAIL STUFF
--------------

Hope this helps somebody out there.  I configured this
a long long time ago, so I hope I get the explanations
out correctly.  Was having problems with the email headers
and experimented lots of times to get it right:

2 WAYS TO CONFIGURE SENDMAIL:

1. Edit /etc/sendmail.cf directly.  Then restart sendmail.
2. Edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc (or /etc/sendmail.mc) and
   use that to generate /etc/sendmail.cf:

   m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf

*Dont mix the 2 methods

FIXING YOUR HEADERS

IF your header looks funny (like a "From user@localhost"
on the receiving end) you can try this on the sendmail.mc
file.  This is actually what I did:

Append to sendmail.mc like this at the end (backup first!
ok):

-------------------------------------
dnl JondZ Tue Jan  2 17:35:53 EST 2001
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(cave)
MASQUERADE_AS(somehost.com)
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
define(`SMART_HOST',mailhandler.somehost.com)
-------------------------------------

dnl - comment line

MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(cave) - Which domain to "replace".
I configured my hostname to be "cave" in this example.
I sortof recall that my email headers were appearing
as xxx@cave or xxx@localhost at the receiving end.

MASQUERADE_AS(somehost.com) - Which domain to "pretend
as".  CAUTION!!! in this example your username
should be the same as your REAL email name.  If you
use another login name such as user1 then you would
be pretending to be user1@somehost.com and it could
be a real live email for SOMEBODY ELSE.

FEATURE(masquerade_envelope) - no idea what this does

define(`SMART_HOST',mailhandler.somehost.com) - where
the next "hop" for the email traffic goes.  This would
be your Company's or ISP's outgoing mail server.

If you try this, make sure it works by sending some
test emails to a known working email account and
look at the headers if it looks ok.

Have Fun,

JondZ / E.Pike