Bill Jonas on Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:12:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] CD Writer Softwear? And MP3-wav conversion?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 11:59:54AM -0400, epike@isinet.com wrote:
> so I'm considering getting a SCSI but theyre more expensive, If you
> have IDE is it running reliably?

bj@epoch:~$ dmesg |grep hdd
Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=305 hdd=ide-scsi
ide_setup: hdd=ide-scsi
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xc008-0xc00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
hdd: PCRW404, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

It works like a champ for me.  It's a year or so old.  It's only 4x4x32,
but aside from being slow, it functions flawlessly.

That being said, I *would* like to replace it with a SCSI drive myself
at some point, but it's because SCSI seems to be better in general, not
because of anything peculiar to this drive.  And it would give me an
excuse to get one that records at faster speeds while I'm at it. ;)

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin
If encryption is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir rapelcgvba.