gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 3 Nov 2001 04:40:20 +0100

Re: [PLUG] when kswapd goes wild!

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 07:50:28PM -0500, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> A mailing list for the discussion of porting Debian to BSD.

Okay, this may sound completely dull then, but what's Debian? I
mean, as extricated from Linux?

The Debian package system? Is there more?

All three popular BSDs have a fully functional package system
which, though it maybe doesn't look quite as pretty on-screen,
handles dependencies and all just as gracefully as debs do...

BSD is not a kernel and a userland waiting for a distribution, but
a set of three--give or take a few random branches--very similar
and fully-packaged operating systems.

I don't mean to discredit this project that I know nothing about
in any way, I'm just curious what it would comprise should it get
off the ground.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net