Charles Stack on Tue, 13 Nov 2001 11:10:16 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Veriizon ADSL

In my area (Doylestown), DirectTV uses Verizon DSL.  For the most part, it
is reliable and fast.  However, they do seem to have outtages at the most
inopertune moments and then be out for a full day.  When you call their
number, they say they are aware of the problem but have no ETR.  I have had
to unplug and replug the router on two occassions after it seemed to have
become unresponsive.  Of course, the verizon guys were working in our
developments junction box on those days...maybe they tapped my line by
accident.  Dunno.

Diagnostics on DSL Reports also fails the packet loss test during streaming.
They claim this is to be expected on a 640/80 line.  The only time this
affects me is when I am using SpeakFreely with a friend who's on a cable
modem (with additional latency).

Bottom line is I am actually quite pleased with my Telocity/DirectTV setup
and would recommend them.  I feed the output for the DirectTV modem into my
firewall (486/50 running linux and iptables).  Haven't had a breech yet
(knock on wood).

Charles