Kevin Brosius on Tue, 13 Nov 2001 11:29:51 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Veriizon ADSL

Charles Stack wrote:

> In my area (Doylestown), DirectTV uses Verizon DSL.  For the most part, it
> is reliable and fast.  However, they do seem to have outtages at the most
> inopertune moments and then be out for a full day.  When you call their
> number, they say they are aware of the problem but have no ETR.  I have had
> to unplug and replug the router on two occassions after it seemed to have
> become unresponsive.  Of course, the verizon guys were working in our
> developments junction box on those days...maybe they tapped my line by
> accident.  Dunno.

I had similar trouble for the first couple weeks.  The router stopped
handling traffic about once a week.  Power cycling brought it back.  I
called tech support (do it during the day, evenings are impossible) and
spoke to a first level tech, he asked me about 5 questions, said he
would level a level 2 tech support ticket and have them looked at it.
I'm assuming they fixed it, because it's been a little over 3 weeks and
the router hasn't hiccupped since.

I'd suggest calling and telling them the symptoms.  Mentioning Linux
didn't seem to hurt as the tech I talked to took it positively.

Oh, and their DNS was messed up a twice for a couple hours each time.
That's been it for trouble over two months...

--
Kevin Brosius