Bill Jonas on Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:29:57 -0500

Re: [PLUG] (no subject)

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:11:00PM -0500, Adam Van Antwerp wrote:
> forgive me,
>
> Sendmail 8.11.6
> on a fresh install of Red Hat 7.2

You may wish to drop the following line into your sendmail.mc:

define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.princetelecom.com')dnl

I *think* this would cause Sendmail to send all non-local mail to this
host; at least, this is what I got while playing around with Debian's
sendmailconfig program.

You may instead with to use the configuration tool (if any) that comes
with RedHat.  I that the problem is that it thinks that it's supposed to
handle any mail addressed to user@princetelecom.com.  Or perhaps the PHP
program is just sending the mail to "user".  This would cause Sendmail to
believe it's a local address, and the delivery would fail since there's
no user named "user" (or whichever address you're trying to send mail
to).  The @access.princetelecom.com, in this case, would probably be
added by Sendmail itself, depending on which options you set when you
configured it.

I'm not a Sendmail expert, so proceed with my advice with caution.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html