Bill Jonas on Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:50:16 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Setting up Sendmail

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 11:13:43AM -0500, NARESH G REDDY wrote:
> Getting mail is no problem. I currently use 'fetchmail' to get my
> mail. Setting up the MTA is the hard part. I will checkout your
> website to set up .muttrc.

Well, the Mutt FAQ[1] suggests using sSMTP or nullmailer if you don't
need local delivery.  I think it's a good idea to set up sendmail, exim,
or postfix so that you can have mail delivery on your local system, but
if you don't need or want that functionality, one of those two should be
easier to set up than a full-fledged MTA.  Oh, and there are Debian
packages for each.

BTW, Debian provides configuration tools for sendmail and exim (and
possibly others, but I'm not sure) that will prompt you with questions
and use your answers to generate config files for the program.  Try
sendmailconfig and eximconfig.

The Mutt manual, at http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/, is quite good and
contains an exhaustive (AFAIK) list of configuration variables in
section 6, http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-6.html.  There is also
a muttrc man page if you prefer ("man muttrc").  The configurator
previously mentioned might be a little more friendly, though.

Welcome to PLUG!

[1] http://www.fefe.de/muttfaq/faq.html#common-problems, search for
"SMTP".  There are also links on this page for sample .muttrc files.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html