Leonard Rosenthol on Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:40:12 +0100

Re: Fw: Re: [PLUG] Gimp Question...

At 01:59 AM 11/21/2001 -0500, paul@dpagin.net wrote:
> Thanks.  8-)  I just tested that guess.  In a JPG file, the text anti-
> aliasing works.  In a GIF file, the text anti-aliasing did NOT work.

That's an interesting "feature" in the GIMP... I understand why (it's the easy way out), but that doesn't make it right.

PNG with only 8bits of color probably doesn't anti-alias either.

Actually, even an PNG-8 would anti-alias, since a PNG-8 is a grayscale PNG and there are 256 levels of gray to work with! (PNG-24 is RGB and PNG-32 is RGBA).

(Unless it includes an alpha channel in 8bits, which would be
totally weird.)

It doesn't, it's just the 8 bits for gray levels.

PNG and TIFF are actually a perfectly good working format, and will
reliably open everywhere.

PSD would be the other good working format - especially if you are using layers!

OK, maybe an original should be stored as a TIF.  Editing should be
done in the editors native, lossless format, such as XCF.

Is XCF the native GIMP format? Is it documented anywhere?? If so, I'll add support for it to ImageMagick...

Leonard