Nicholas Vettese on Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:03:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Need Feedback

Sounds like a virus. It also seems that the person who this happened to was logged in as root or someone with root privliges.
Nick

===============================
South Jersey Linux User's Group
http://sjlinux.org/

From: Paul <paul@dpagin.net>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] Need Feedback
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:12:43 -0500

I forwarded the following:

*** begin quote ***

Are you ready for my newest Linux problem?  Is it just me or does
everyone have these problems?

Ok.  So, I started up my box last night and I logged in copied a
couple files from a floppy and started an xterm.  However, when I
tried to do an 'ls' or 'cp' I got some error about /bin/ls does not
exist.

I thought well, that's strange.  I echoed $PATH and /bin was in the
path.  Since I didn't know what to do next, I closed the xterm and
tried to start another one.  However, the button on my GUI wasn't
working.  So, I did a Cntrl+Alt+F2 and tried to log in and I got some
error (that I didn't write down).

Alright, at this point I'm saying: "This is too strange, I'm gonna
reboot!"  However, Ctrl+Alt+Del wasn't working either (again an error
message that I didn't write down).

So, I hit the Restart button on my PC.  However, now Linux doesn't
boot up all of the way.  I get past Loading Linux.........  And then
I see a couple pages of info, but it stops loading when it says:
Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

I scrolled up (Shift+PageUP) and I didn't notice any other error
messages.  However, I did notice: Kernel command line: auto
BOOT_IMAGE=linux ro root=305 BOOT_FILE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2.
Strangley enough, when I looked at this line last night, there was an
init= at the end of it. But, this morning it wasn't there.

Do you have any ideas about what is happening and/or what I can do to
fix it?

*** end quote ***

Any ideas?