multiple seriousity on Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:39:25 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OT OEM software

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Kyle R . Burton wrote:
> are necessary.  It only took about 10min.  While we were waiting, watching
> the technician click through the 'I Agree to this licensing agreement'
> prompts it dawned on me that many of the customers who buy new PCs won't
> get the opportunity to choose not to use the bundled software - the
> the systems before purchase.  I don't know if yoru consent to the test allows
> them to accept the agreements on your behalf or not, but it's a good tactic
> to force license agreement.

This doesn't matter.  Or shouldn't. Neither of the purchasing parties
agreed to the license, nor were you given any chance to read
it.  Purchasing a computer and letting a technician set it up does not
transfer a power of attorney to said technician.

Hmm, on that note, I wonder about the USA P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act, if our
elected officials didn't even get a chance to read it before they voted on
it (see slashdot story reference, somewhere..) I wonder if that makes it
null and void.  <sigh.>  I doubt it. :(

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Artists Resource Project: www.slackware.com/~msimons/arts/reuse/