Jon Nelson on Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:57:20 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OT OEM software

On 29/11/01 10:32 -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> > So if I buy a new PC at Best Buy and boot it to linux I can resell M$ OS ?
> > That would be great, although I prefer to build my computers...
>
> Maybe
Not yet in PA.  Eventhough this is a US court decision it does not apply to
us because we are not in the District where the case was heard.

> "So does this mean Linux users can break up a hardware/software bundle, keep
> the hardware to run Linux on and sell the software? Yes, says attorney Wendy
> Seltzer, Fellow of the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law
> School. "It makes a strong case that the licenses purporting to restrict
> resale in this manner are not valid licenses--so the transactions are in
> fact sales, and the buyers are not subject to the "license" conditions. It
> helped that Softman hadn't even had to click a clickwrap", Seltzer said in
> an e-mail interview.
>
> Bear in mind, tho, that many PCs these days do NOT come with an OS on CD;
> it's only installed on the HD, and - maybe - the CD is copied to a directory
> on the HD.

*************NOTE NEW NEW ALT. EMAIL!!!!******************

Trooper Jon S. NELSON, Linux Certified Admin. (Sair/GNU)
Pennsylvania State Police
Computer Crimes Unit
Office:  610-344-4471
Page:  866-284-1603 (Toll Free)