Mike Leone on Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:24:40 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OT OEM software

> So if I buy a new PC at Best Buy and boot it to linux I can resell M$ OS ?
> That would be great, although I prefer to build my computers...

Maybe

"So does this mean Linux users can break up a hardware/software bundle, keep
the hardware to run Linux on and sell the software? Yes, says attorney Wendy
Seltzer, Fellow of the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law
School. "It makes a strong case that the licenses purporting to restrict
resale in this manner are not valid licenses--so the transactions are in
fact sales, and the buyers are not subject to the "license" conditions. It
helped that Softman hadn't even had to click a clickwrap", Seltzer said in
an e-mail interview.

Bear in mind, tho, that many PCs these days do NOT come with an OS on CD;
it's only installed on the HD, and - maybe - the CD is copied to a directory
on the HD.