Chuck Peters on Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:29:25 -0500

[PLUG] kernel panic boot up problem

I am hoping someone can tell me how I might fix my screw up without
resorting to more drastic measures of putting the drive in another machine
to recover data and maybe a reinstall.

I was running 2.4.9 on Debian woody and the modutils package was not
upgrading properly, so I tried to install 2.4.10.  I think the error was
depmod -a was complaing about a sbd2.o module.  Well now that I installed
the newer kernel I am getting a kernel panic for both the 2.4.9 and
2.4.10.  It appears the ide devices and the hard drive are not
getting detected.  Using a potato rescue floppy the ide and hard
drive are being detected correctly and the drive can be mounted.  I tried
adding an entry to lilo, but lilo is giving me the error of a large disk.

The kernel panic message
modprobe: modprobe can't locate module net-pf-1
modprobe: modprobe can't locate module block-major-3
VFS: cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
Please append a correct "root= " boot option
Kernel Panic VFS" Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

I tried a linux root=/dev/hda1 at the lilo and that didn't help.

And no I don't have a boot up floppy (like I should).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chuck