Paul on Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:37:46 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OT OEM software

> > Used to not be a solution: Today, ANYONE can build a PC.  It's not
exactly

Actually, anyone with the money to buy the hardware can have a local
pre-teen put a system together that is better than a Packard Bell or
Gateway.

For me, it's actually disappointingly easy.  I used to have to set clock
speeds, multipliers, jumpers on the mo'bo' and cards, type in hard drive
parameters, and all that technical stuff.  Now, CPUs, hard drives, and cards
are more or less Plug 'N' Play.  It's a nice thing, but less challenging.
But, even with the advances in hardware and software, knowledge of IRQs,
CHS, and DOS is still very useful.