Jason Costomiris on Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:45:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OT OEM software

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 08:37:14PM -0500, Paul wrote:
: For me, it's actually disappointingly easy.  I used to have to set clock
: speeds, multipliers, jumpers on the mo'bo' and cards, type in hard drive
: parameters, and all that technical stuff.  Now, CPUs, hard drives, and cards
: are more or less Plug 'N' Play.  It's a nice thing, but less challenging.
: But, even with the advances in hardware and software, knowledge of IRQs,
: CHS, and DOS is still very useful.

Tell me about it - all the challenge is gone.  You install a CPU, the
system figures out the clock speed, multiplier and proper voltage to
supply - no jumpers or dip switches.  Heck, I once had a motherboard that
was one of the first 486 boards to use 72-pin SIMMs.  You had to set
dip switches on the board to tell the system how much memory and what
kind of SIMMs were installed.

Or heck - remember I/O cards?

Today, all of that stuff just "happens" without any intervention.  It's
pitifully simple.  Today, anyone who's reasonably adept at operating a
screwdriver can get the job done.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.